Snap Map Exploration

I posted last week about the new feature called Snap Map on Snapchat, which allows users to see the locations of their followers on a map of the world at all times (unless a specific user opts to go into 'ghost mode'). Because we're talking a little more about Snapchat and Snap stories this week, I've been exploring the Snap map a little bit more and noticed that it's fairly interesting to play around with the map and view stories from other locations around the world.

For instance, in the screenshots below, a big focus of today's domestic stories are cities celebrating the fourth of July. Internationally, you can check out videos and stories from the Milan Cathedral and the Pompeii Ruins.



There are pros and cons to Snapchat, (especially in a classroom setting), but I think in a monitored environment with private accounts only accessible for a class, this international exploration could be a useful tool for interactive 'exhibits' on geography, history, social studies, etc. I imagine I would have been more invested in and gained more from a middle or high school history lesson if we were able to view live videos and photos of the Roman ruins rather than looking at photos in textbooks.

I think the Snap map has a long way to go in terms of fixing its privacy and location-sharing issues, but I'm excited to see more interactive features like these that allow us to get tastes of the world around us.

Comments

  1. Very interesting! I had no idea this was a feature. How do you access it in the app?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's certainly interesting! (And a little bit stalk-y!) When you're on the photo screen, you zoom out with two fingers and it takes you to the map. :)

      Delete
  2. I wasn't aware that you could view snap stories, I thought you could only see people's location. This is amazing! Like you said, this map feature has only begun to tap into its potential. I could see this being very useful when providing real-world connections in the classroom.

    I must admit, I spent some times exploring and watching a wide variety of stories.

    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also fell down a bit of a rabbit hole exploring some international site stories! I used to live in London and it was amazing and nostalgic to view stories from around the city!

      Delete
  3. I have not have snapchat yet, but it seems a very interesting feature to track friends' location. I am wondering the real function of snapchat in educational settings. However, for sure it creates a connection with your PLN and friends circles :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I heard about the "Snap Maps" on the news.... I think it can definitely be concerning for parents with kids who have mobile devices. I am in complete agreement that they need to be working on their privacy settings... Kind of stalk-y, as Alexis said:). Maybe it's just me. I haven't played with it yet, so this is just my gut reaction... I think the fact you can view the snap stories around the globe is super cool though:). I lived in Firenze many moons ago.... I am going to have to check this out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stalk-y is now definitely a real word ;p
      Glad you also like the exploration feature! I visited Florence last year for the first time and fell in love! What a beautiful city!

      Delete
  5. Thank you for sharing! I'd wondered about this feature but hadn't gotten around to checking it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure! I hope you enjoy exploring it! But beware, it can become a bit of a time-blackhole! I spent a few lost hours viewing stories from around the world...

      Delete
  6. Thanks for sharing, Alexis. I'm totally new at Snapchat (I think I intentionally not to use it), but it looks interesting.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Longform.org and Web 2.0 Tool Integration

Back to Blogging!