The art of the disconnect

We've spoken in class lately about disconnecting and the value it can have. I've been thinking about how disconnecting is really an art form these days (it's so tricky sometimes).

For me, the hardest part is in thinking I'm being rude if I miss a message or a post someone has tagged me in. Rationally, I know it's not a big deal if I respond to something a few days later if I want to disconnect, but I feel weird sort of anxiety about it (largely over someone having the perception that I'm ignoring them when in fact I'm ignoring everyone [but I'm not sure that makes it much better!])

I like Snapchat recently because it's the one social media where I feel I can interact and "be" with others without the pressure to respond, which is handy if I need a break from technology. If I want someone to know I'm thinking of them on twitter or Facebook, I might write a post on their wall or tag them in a tweet. But I'd then generally expect them to respond (same goes if someone does the above to me). Those interactions require more response, per social norms.

But Snapchat is great because I might see a cute dog that makes me think of a friend and so I'll snap her a photo of the dog and eventually she'll open it and maybe she'll send back a response/reaction or maybe she won't. And that's okay. Because the expectation on Snapchat is not one requiring replies. Which sometimes feels far more comfortable for an introvert like me, especially if I've been particularly connected (as I have recently). It's great as well because I don't feel like I'm letting anyone down. Anyone else feel a pressure to respond to social media when you'd rather disconnect for a bit?

Comments

  1. For me the anxiousness started to fade as soon as I learned to fill that time with just being. The first couple of days I would check my phone even though I knew perfectly well that hid my apps for the purpose of disconnecting. I've been able to do that a couple of times during the course but I really feel it, when I get back into the swing of things. We'll see how it goes after EME6414. Something that helped was letting friends know that I've checked out by noting it in my profile.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Longform.org and Web 2.0 Tool Integration

Snap Map Exploration

Confessions from a Former Twitter Addict