As Technology Changes so Do We All

I've found that working in higher education often is an interesting contrast where sometimes I find my office (and myself) to be 'up' on the latest tech/social media trends and sometimes I find us stuck in the past. I have a near-constant shuffle of students in and out of my office, which usually helps me stay informed, but also sometimes makes me realize how we continue to hold on to what we're used to as college students are surging forward.

Despite how old it sometimes makes me feel, I actually enjoy this dichotomy. It's fascinating to me see how processes in daily life have progressed due to social media and technology and how students deal with being faced with a process that is more 'antiquated' than they expect. For instance, it can sometimes be a hoot to watch students' confusion as we tell them they cannot use Venmo/Paypal/Apple Pay/Google Wallet to pay their program fees and/or passport fees. We tell them that the Department of State requires a check or a money order for their fees, and due to ease and prevalence of the aforementioned apps, many of the students have never written a check.

Social media use is the same way. I was training a student who is going abroad to work with our programs and I let her know that I could give her the email address of the other student hired to work with her so that they could touch base with one another and maybe schedule a meet-up. Her ensuing momentary blank stare and response made me feel a little bit like I was a grandma in a sitcom as she asked, "can't you just give me their name for Facebook?" She also asked if I would pull up the individual's profile so she could make sure she added the right person. That seemed like a slight ethical overstep to me, as I wasn't sure the individual would want to add this stranger on Facebook. But apparently they connected a few hours later on Facebook and decided they didn't feel the need to meet before going abroad. (Shout out to the class discussion last week about trusting people on the internet!)

This interaction struck me because when it comes to professional matters, my first thought is email, but suggesting email communication went over as if I had suggested they use snail mail or horse and buggy to meet up. It was a quick reminder of how Web 2.0 has developed and changed the way we communicate with each other and how it is the norm for younger generations; they're can't envision a world in which you would email a peer or colleague rather than just shoot them a Facebook message. I feel like I straddle these two worlds; I often use Facebook messages instead of texts, but never for professional matters. Some of my colleagues who have been in my office much longer than I have could not imagine sending a message (or even a text) to a friend instead of dialing them up. Communication is always shifting and I'm intrigued to see where we go from here!

(I'm still slightly traumatized by the student looking at me as if I had three heads when I suggested email. Have any of you gotten 'that' look from a youngin'?)


Comments

  1. That payment method is oh so true! My sorority used an app called Tilt (I'd never heard of it before) to collect money for a philanthropy event. This was much easier than traditional ways, and even though tickets were only $10 we still managed to raise over $2000! The year prior (using traditional tools--giving cash or buying it from a tabling event) we never even came close. When I tried to teach this to my fellow (more mature) advisers, they were the ones giving me that look that you got!

    I also experience this in my job as well... I am constantly struggling to make my emails "formal" when all I want to do is message them through Skype or just shoot a quick question if email is my only option. The demographic is older where I work, and while I don't get those looks in person who knows that they are thinking.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Longform.org and Web 2.0 Tool Integration

Snap Map Exploration

Confessions from a Former Twitter Addict